Logo facebook Logo Twitter Logo YouTube Logo RSS Logo YouTube Logo Instagram
Home / City Hall / Local public services / Certificates

Don't hesitate to contact us:

Registry Office
Rathaus, Marktplatz 10
69117 Heidelberg
Phone +49 6221 58-18510
Fax +49 6221 58-49340


Civil status certificates (Personenstandsurkunden)

Birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates can be ordered from the Heidelberg Registry Office if the event referred to (birth, marriage, death) occurred in Heidelberg. Every certificate can be issued in a multilingual version for international use.

For data protection reasons the certificates can only be obtained by

  • the party concerned
  • the spouse of the party concerned (provided the couple is NOT divorced)
  • children, grandchildren etc. of the party concerned
  • a person producing a written authorization of the party concerned
  • a person who can prove a legitimate interest in obtaining the requested document (the corresponding proofs must be produced).

For data protection reasons all requests for certificates must be in writing, signed and sent via post to:

Standesamt Heidelberg
Marktplatz 10
69117 Heidelberg

or via fax to +49 6221 58-49340. Please give your full name, former name (if applicable), date and place of birth and your postal address to which the certificate(s) and a receipt will be sent.

Another option is to order certificates by telephone and collect them in person at the Registry Office. In this case you will be asked to produce your ID card or passport.

Each birth, marriage or death certificates cost €12,00. Bank charges for transfers from countries outside the Euro zone are €7,00.

Registration of birth (Geburtsbeurkundung)

When a child is born, the parents will be given a form ('Registration of Birth' or 'Geburtsanmeldung' - see link on the right). This form must be completed, signed and returned to
the hospital – together with a copy of the family register (you will normally find such a copy in your family album) if the parents are married, or together with a birth certificate of the child’s mother if she is not married. If the parents come from abroad we also need their passports (including their residence permits).

The hospital will forward the documents directly to the Registry Office which will then issue a birth certificate.

If the parents are not married, the father of the child can still be registered in the birth entry if he submits his own birth certificate to the Registry Office. Paternity can be acknowledged by him at the Children and Youth Office or at any Registry Office.

Birth certificates will be delivered cash on delivery to the parents of the child or to the child’s mother, respectively. You will find the fee for issue of a birth certificate on the form.

If you have any further questions please contact the staff of Heidelberg Registry Office (Standesamt Heidelberg).

Certificate of nationality (Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis)

The Certificate of Nationality is a formal proof that you are a German national.

Provided that your principal residence is within the City of Heidelberg, you can apply for a Certificate of Nationality at the Nationality Office (Staatsangehörigkeitsbehörde) of the City of Heidelberg at Bergheimer Strasse 69. Please bring with you your identity card/passport, birth certificate and - if you are married - your marriage certificate. In addition to this, we need the family register ("Familienbuch") of your parents and of the parents of your father.

The Certificate of Nationality costs € 25.00

Certifications of copies (Beglaubigungen)

Please contact the Local Administration Offices if you want to have a copy of a document certified. Any report and certificate issued by a German authority can be certified, also any document you want to submit to a German authority. Please bring both the original and the copy with you.

A certification costs € 3.00 per page.

Documents issued by a registry office must not be certified. Signatures can be certified only for submission to German authorities. The signature must be made personally at a Local Administration Office. Please bring your passport with you. The certification of a signature costs € 4.50. Signatures for notary matters such as property transactions or deceased estates’ matters cannot be certified. Certifications for pension matters are provided by the social security agency at no cost.

If you have any further questions please contact the Central Administration Office (Bürgeramt Mitte).

Police certificate of good character (Führungszeugnis)

You can make a request for police certificate of good character at any Local Administration Office. It costs € 13.00. You must make the request in person.

Police certificates of good character are established by the Federal Central Register in Berlin and take some 10 to 14 days. If you need the police certificate of good character for an authority please note their address and state the purpose. The certificate will then be sent directly to the authority.

Please bring your passport with you when making your request.

If you have any further questions please contact the Central Administration Office
(Bürgeramt Mitte).