Creative Cities Network
The UNESCO Creative Cities Network is working together towards a common mission for cultural diversity and sustainable urban development. Member cities are recognized, on the one hand, as "creative hubs" that promote socio-economic and cultural development in both the developed and the developing world through creative industries. On the other hand, they are also regarded as "socio-cultural clusters" connecting socio-culturally diverse communities to create a healthy urban environment.
The Network aims at developing international cooperation among cities and encouraging them to drive joint development partnerships in line with UNESCO’s global priorities of "culture and development" and "sustainable development". Once a city is appointed to the Network, it can share experiences and create new opportunities with other cities on a global platform, notably for activities based on the notions of creative economy and creative tourism.
There are currently 116 member cities around the world in seven creative industry fields:
- Literature: Baghdad, Barcelona, Dublin, Dunedin, Edinburgh, Granada, Heidelberg, Iowa City, Krakow, Ljubljana, Lviv, Melbourne, Montevideo, Norwich, Nottingham, Óbidos, Prague, Reykjavik, Ulyanovsk and Tartu
- Cinema: Bitola, Bradford, Busan, Galway, Rome, Santos, Sofia and Sydney
- Music: Adelaide, Bogota, Bologna, Brazzaville, Ghent, Glasgow, Hamamatsu, Hanover, Idanha-a-Nova, Katowice, Kingston, Kinshasa, Liverpool, Mannheim, Medellín, Salvador, Seville, Tongyeong and Varanasi
- Craft and Folk Arts: Al-Ahsa, Aswan, Bamiyan, Durán, Fabriano, Hangzhou, Icheon , Isfahan, Jacmel, Jaipur, Jingdezhen, Kanazawa, Lubumbashi, Nassau, Paducah, Pekalongan, San Cristóbal de las Casas, Santa Fe, Sasayama and Suzhou
- Design: Bandung, Beijing, Berlin, Bilbao, Budapest, Buenos Aires, Curitiba, Detroit, Dundee, Graz, Helsinki, Kaunas, Kobe, Montreal, Nagoya, Puebla, Saint-Étienne, Seoul, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Singapore and Turin
- Media Arts: Austin, Dakar, Enghien-les-Bains, Gwangju, Linz, Lyon, Sapporo, Tel Aviv and York
- Gastronomy: Belém, Bergen, Burgos, Chengdu, Dénia, Ensenada, Florianopolis, Gaziantep, Jeonju, Östersund, Parma, Phuket, Popayán, Rasht, Shunde, Tucson, Tsuruoka and Zahlé