Don't hesitate to contact me:
Don't hesitate to contact me:
Heidelberg says "Thank you" for the warm congratulations of the UNESCO Cities of Literature all over the world.
Writers in Residence Programme
Artist´s residence Dilsberg
The application deadline for 2018 has already expired.
Writer in residence from February until the end of April 2018 is Pippa Goldschmidt, an Edinburgh based writer of long and short fiction, poetry and non-fiction.
For more information about the artist please visit her website www.pippagoldschmidt.co.uk or have a look at the press release (in German).
The next call for applications will be announced late summer 2019 for the residency in spring 2020.
Work Grant awarded by the "Kulturstiftung Rhein-Neckar-Kreis e.V." in cooperation with the UNESCO City of Literature Heidelberg for authors from UNESCO Cities of Literature
in the “Commandant’s House Dilsberg”, at Dilsberg Fortress, in Neckargemünd (approximately 14 km from Heidelberg).
The building served as the Commandant’s quarters of the Dilsberg garrison in the 17th century. The former Commandant’s House was acquired 1996 and renovated by the Rhein-Neckar-District. Since then the "Commandant’s House Dilsberg" has been a center for the promotion of art and culture: exhibitions, chamber music concerts, open-air concerts, readings, symposia and discussion rounds enrich the cultural life of the region. Here, art, music, and literature grant holders find a creative work sphere.
2 artists' residencies to be awarded simultaneously.
The duration of the scholarship is 3 months with residence obligation in the Commandant’s House Dilsberg.
Date: 1 February to 30 April 2018
Content of Grant:
Total value max. € 3,750. - per person.
a) Boarding fee of € 1,350. - per person (€ 15 per day)
b) Monthly allowance of € 750. - per person
Financing of flight and travel expenses (international flights, economy class) in the amount of € 1,000. – maximum.
Public Transportation Pass
The grant holder will be given free of charge a public transportation pass limited to the duration of his/her stay, which entitles him or her to use all public transport facilities throughout the region of the Rhein-Neckar (VRN) transport network system.
• Candidates have the possibility to apply as two-team (grant holder and co-fellow), as 2 accommodation rooms are available (individual application is necessary).
• The co-recipient should also have his/her own artistic expertise, which does not necessarily have to be in the literary field (also music, visual arts, performing arts, film, etc.). Both artistic personalities have to demonstrate an artistic or interdisciplinary cooperation and be personally well acquainted. It is not absolutely necessary that the co-grantee comes from a UNESCO City of Literature.
• The co-grantee will be provided with the same financial resources as the grant holder.
• The grant holders share a kitchenette and a bathroom in the fully furnished apartment. The apartment is not accessible for the physically disabled.
• At the end of the grant period, there will be readings or presentations by the grant holder/ holders of their own texts or works.
The grant holders are selected by the UNESCO City of Literature Heidelberg and the Board of Trustees of the Rhein-Neckar-Kreis E.V. Cultural Foundation.
Application requirements for the grant holder
• Publication of at least one book (prose, essay, narration, poetry, etc.) by a book publisher.
• Good to very good knowledge of German and/or English language.
• Willingness to participate in local literary life (Dilsberg or Heidelberg) e.g. talks with protagonist of the regional literary scene arranged by the grant donors.
How to apply
Please fill out the application form completely.
• Excerpt from one of your books (1500 – 3000 words) in German or English
• Letter of recommendation
Please send in your application by e-mail to
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us also by phone:
+49 6221 5833061 or
+49 6221 5833063